Most homeowners understand that as the quality of your home improves, as does your home’s value. If there are random water leaks or cracks in the walls and foundation, your home will depreciate far faster than it will appreciate. On top of losing value, you are also opening your home up to extensive damage – whether it’s a flooded basement or a fallen roof – the repair costs are always far more extensive than if you had just dealt with it in the beginning.
To avoid catastrophe, there are many very simple maintenance fixes even the most ill-prepared homeowner can take advantage of.
Check everything water
- Water leaks are one of the most common causes of home damage. Check your appliances, even if they were installed yesterday, and make sure the pipe connections are all secure and there aren’t any broken or leaking pipes.
- Avoid bursting pipes by ensuring your water pressure is set to the proper setting. If the pressure rises too high, water pipes and lines are likely to burst and cause extensive flooding and costly repairs.
Protect against fire
- Some of the most common causes of fire are incredibly easy to prevent. Leaving any cooking appliances unattended for an extended period of time is the most common cause of house fires.
- Faulty electrical equipment is also another likely culprit of house fires. Have an electrician comb through your home at least once a year to keep all of your electrical needs updated.
- Just like unattended cooking appliances, candles left alone with an open flame are also likely to start fires. Be wary of flammable objects near a candle’s open flame, and never leave a candle unattended, especially with children around.
Check air quality
- Running regular air quality tests in your home is imperative to maintaining clean and healthy living quarters. Despite kits’ rather hefty costs, what they are checking for and preventing is well worth the money.
- Check all your air filters and air ducts on a regular basis, as well. It is possible for mold to begin growing in these areas, ultimately spreading throughout the rooms and destroying the structural integrity of the house.
Protecting your house and its value is crucial to ensuring your family’s and guest’s safety. If you ever have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with us at Brazelton Insurance, be sure to contact us right away.